Tuesday, June 05, 2012

"The cheering was quite deafening ... " Queen Victoria

The last Diamond Jubilee on June 22, 1897: from History dot com  History dot com

Queen Victoria wrote this in her journal:  “a never to be forgotten day.” “No one ever I believe, has met with such an ovation as was given to me, passing through those six miles of streets. The crowds were quite indescribable and their enthusiasm truly marvelous and deeply touching. The cheering was quite deafening, and every face seemed to be filled with real joy. I was much moved and gratified.”

Our then Prime Minister Wilfred Laurier was there and was knighted though I don’t believe he wanted to be. My curiostiry has been piqued by reading Roy MacSimming's novel Laurier in Love. More on that and poetry in parliament and government as we get closer to the date!
 
Follow @CmedMoore